If you need a quick dinner, this Baked Italian Sausage and Peppers recipe is for you! Juicy Italian sausage is baked to perfection with sweet peppers and spices, onions, and cherry tomatoes. There are endless ways to serve this sheet pan meal, too….and it’s done in less than 30 minutes so you can whip it up on busy weeknights!
Easy weeknight dinners are the name of the game around my house…and this fantastic sheet pan dinner is one we love to keep handy! It’s satisfying, packed full of flavor, yet with just a few simple steps, it’s super easy to throw together!
If you love a good sheet-pan dinner, try my Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Baked Italian Sausage and Peppers Recipe:
Italian Sausage: Good-quality, uncooked fresh Italian sausage links are always my preference. I like sweet Italian sausage but feel free to substitute any kind of sausage you like!
Other good options are: Cooked smoked sausage such as these from Hillshire Farms or this smoked andouille sausage, chicken/turkey sausage, or hot Italian sausage.
Bell Peppers: Any color will do! I love using brightly colored, sweet peppers (yellow, red, and orange bell pepper are the sweetest!).
HOW TO MAKE BAKED ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND PEPPERS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place sausages in a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
While the sausages are baking, prep the veggies. Toss cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Remove sausages from the oven. Spread prepared veggies around the sausages in a single layer.
Step 3: Place baking tray back into the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and the veggies are tender.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Make sure you allow enough space around the sausages and peppers to ensure even airflow and even cooking. Overcrowding may result in the vegetables steaming instead of roasting.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Cooking time may vary depending on your oven. Just remember, the internal temperature of the sausage should be at at least 160°F. Testing with a meat thermometer is an easy way to tell if they are done without cutting them open!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store baked sausage and peppers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheating: There are a few easy ways to reheat this recipe:
- Stovetop: Slice leftover sausages into 1-inch pieces. Reheat sliced sausage and peppers in a large skillet on the stove over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until heated through.
- Oven: Place sausage and peppers on a baking sheet and warm at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
- Microwave: Reheat in the microwave for a minute or two until heated through.
- Freezing: Cooked sausages can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer-safe container or on a zip top freezer bag. I do not recommend freezing the veggies.
Additions & Substitutions
- Herbs: Garnishing the finished dish with fresh basil or parsley is an excellent pop of fresh favor. You can also add 1/2 tsp to a teaspoon of dry Italian seasoning or oregano.
- Veggies: Feel free to add or customize the veggies however you like! Some great options to add are: zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, eggplant or even small potato cubes!
- You can also mix and match the peppers! Green bell peppers are standard and easy to find, but yellow and red bell peppers provide sweetness and great pop of color!
- Spice: A good sprinkle of red pepper flakes are perfect for a bit of spice!
- Italian Sausage: Good-quality, uncooked fresh Italian sausage links are always my preference. I like sweet Italian sausage but feel free to substitute any kind of sausage you like!
- Other good options are: Cooked smoked sausage such as these from Hillshire Farms or this smoked andouille sausage., hot Italian sausage, chicken sausages, and turkey sausage.
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
There are so many ways to serve this easy meal! Here are a few of my favorites:
1) On a hoagie roll: Pile the sausage and peppers on toasted rolls and add a squeeze of mustard!
2) Over rice: Slice the sausage and top a bed of white rice with the sausage and peppers.
3) With pasta: Slice the sausage. Then, toss some pasta in marinara sauce, and top it with the sliced sausage and peppers. Don’t forget lots of parmesan cheese!
4) Low carb: This is a perfect low-carb meal! Enjoy on its own, or slice the sausage and serve it with cauliflower rice or just with a light side salad.
Bake uncooked Italian sausage at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads at least 160°F. Remember, cooking time will depend on your oven and the thickness of the sausage, so it really helps to use a meat thermometer to check!
In a Dinner Rut?
Grab your 7-Day Meal Plan + 3 Bonus Recipes!
TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE
TRY THESE NEXT…
Easy Baked Italian Sausage and Peppers
- 4 mild or hot Italian sausages
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 bell peppers, sliced I like using a mix of red, green or yellow bell peppers!
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet or 9×13 baking dish lightly with cooking spray or line with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat for easy clean up.
- Bake: Place Italian sausages on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Prep Veggies: While the sausages are baking, prep the veggies. In a large bowl combine cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion. Drizzle with olive oil, then season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Gently toss until the veggies are well-coated.
- Add: Remove sausages from the oven. Place prepared veggies around the sausages.
- Bake: Place baking sheet back into the oven and cook for another 10 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and the veggies are tender.