This Rigatoni Meatball Soup is comfort in a bowl! And unlike most comfort food–it’s super quick and easy. You can be enjoying a hot bowl of this soup in less than 30 minutes!
After a long winter day, sometimes comfort food is what you crave! But who has time on a busy weeknight to throw together meatloaf, mashed potatoes, or some complicated pasta dish??
This soup comes together super quickly, taking the help from frozen, store-bought meatballs (Trader Joe’s Turkey Meatballs are the best!!). Save rolling and baking homemade meatballs for another day and enjoy this comfort food in less than 30 minutes!
If you need more easy, comfort food, try my Easy Vegetable Beef Soup, this hearty Chili Con Carne or this bacon-lovers Cheesy Velveeta Potato Soup!
How to make Creamy Rigatoni Meatball Soup: The Game Plan
I love giving you a “game plan” or “order of operations” to make recipes come together super quickly and help you make the best use of your time.
- Chop onion (the ONLY prep work!. Use my AMAZING VEGGIE CHOPPER to make this super simple!
- Heat oil in a large pot, add onion.
- Add marinara sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, meatballs and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook until tender.
- While you are waiting for the pasta to cook, cut some bread or toss together a quick salad.
- Stir in ricotta, season with sugar, salt and red pepper flakes (if using).
- Serve immediately.
Storing Rigatoni Meatball Soup
This soup freezes wonderfully! My only advice is to undercook the pasta a bit and freeze it separately (Yes! You can freeze pasta!). When you are ready to eat, just thaw the soup and add in the frozen pasta as the soup is reheating. Have a cup or so of chicken stock on hand if it becomes too thick.
This soup is AMAZING the next day! Because of the starch in the rigatoni, the “soup” will become thick–almost like a pasta sauce! Feel free to enjoy it just as it is OR place on the stove and thin it out with a cup or so of chicken stock. Either way, it’s awesome!
Recipe notes and tips
- Frozen meatballs are key to making this dish quick and easy! I love using Trader Joe’s Turkey Meatballs! Every frozen food section has lots of options!
- Don’t have rigatoni?? Sub in your favorite pasta! I like using a “hearty” pasta because the leftovers hold up a bit better.
- Make sure to have extra chicken stock on hand if you have any leftovers, You will need to thin out the soup a bit when you reheat it.
Creamy Rigatoni Meatball Soup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 32 oz jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1 lb frozen meatballs I love the Trader Joe's turkey meatballs!
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 cups dry rigatoni (or your fave pasta!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sugar & red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a stockpot or soup pot, heat about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add diced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce, tomato paste, chicken stock, meatballs and italian seasoning; bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add in rigatoni and cook 12-14 minutes or according to pasta's package instructions; stir occasionally.
- Stir in ricotta cheese until incorporated into the soup. Add salt and stir.
- Add in sugar and/or red pepper flakes, if using. Serve immediately.
This was so easy!!!