This Instant Pot Risotto with Asparagus will be your go-to recipe for risotto! If you have never made risotto in your Instant Pot, you are going to go crazy over how SIMPLE it is! The result is creamy, delicious risotto without stirring over a hot stove! The best part? It’s ready in about 30 minutes!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
Risotto can be a labor of love to make. While it’s not HARD, the traditional method of making risotto is just a bit time consuming!
Once you make this Instant Pot risotto recipe, you might never go back to the traditional method! It’s so.darn.easy and comes out perfect every time! Even if you are an Instant Pot newbie!!
This recipe is a delicious spring risotto that is the perfect dish for busy weeknights! While the risotto is cooking, throw together a quick arugula salad and some garlic bread and dinner is served!
Want to make an AMAZING risotto the traditional way (it’s still easy, I promise)? Try my Pumpkin Risotto with Mushrooms and Bacon!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Simple, hassle-free way to make risotto!
- Super creamy and delicious — you’d never know it was made in the Instant Pot!
- Lots of delicious options to customize this risotto.
- Done in about 30 minutes!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious, creamy instant pot asparagus risotto:
Chicken Stock/Bone Broth: If you can find chicken bone broth, USE IT! It adds such great flavor and richness! I can typically find it in my regular grocery store with all the other soups and stocks and it usually comes in a paper container (not a can). If you can’t find it, good quality chicken stock or chicken broth works, too.
Asparagus: I like getting fresh asparagus that is thin, for quick cooking!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT RISOTTO WITH ASPARAGUS: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: With your Instant Pot on the Sauté function, add olive oil and asparagus. Cook asparagus to crisp tender. Remove and set aside.
Step 2: Add butter, garlic and onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add rice. Stir to combine.
Step 3: Add chicken stock. Place lid on Instant Pot and select manual setting, (pressure cook) at HIGH pressure. Set time for 6 minutes. When timer beeps, allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release (don’t do anything). When 5 minutes is up, do a quick pressure release.
Step 4: This is what the rice will look like when you take the lid off after cooking!
Step 5: Stir in half and half, Parmesan cheese, remaining 1 tbsp butter, lemon juice/zest, asparagus.
Step 6: Stir, stir, stir until creamy! Season with salt and pepper.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Before closing the lid on the Instant Pot to cook the risotto, just give it a quick stir to ensure no rice is stuck to the bottom of the pot. If that happens, you may get the dreaded burn warning!
- Freshly grated Parmesano-Regiano is SO DELISH in this dish! Of course you can use pre-grated Parmesan, but freshly grated just takes it over the top! It melts so well, too making this super creamy risotto!
STORAGE & REHEATING
- Storage: Store risotto in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. I LOVE these storage containers for storing leftovers of any kind!
- Reheating: You can either reheat this risotto in the microwave or in a pan. Either way, it’s good to add a splash of chicken stock or half and half just to thin it out a bit–it makes it extra creamy when reheating, too!
- Freezing: You can freeze risotto! Freeze in an airtight container (again, these storage containers are great!) for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge (or on the counter) and reheat according to reheating instructions above.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Additions: Here are some great additions to this creamy lemon asparagus risotto:
- Extra Fresh Vegetables: Feel free sauté some additional veggies with the asparagus! Peas are delish in this dish! Stirring in tomatoes or fresh spinach at the end would also work well.
- Shrimp: Cook up some shrimp when you sauté your asparagus and stir it in at the end! Yum!
Substitutions: Feel free to use any of these substitutions!
- Heavy Cream/Whole Milk: These both work fine to replace the half and half.
- White Wine: Risotto is traditionally made with white wine, although I didn’t write it into this recipe. If you want that delicious flavor from the wine, substitute 1/4 cup of the chicken stock for 1/4 cup of dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- Cheese: Parmesan is traditional, but I honestly don’t discriminate when it comes to cheese! Fontina, mozzarella or gruyere are some good options!
- Chicken Stock/Bone Broth: While both of these will give your risotto the MOST flavor, chicken broth or vegetable broth or stock can also be used as substitutes.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Absolutely! Just substitute the wine with chicken stock, chicken broth or chicken bone broth.
Yes, you CAN. However, keep in mind arborio rice is perfect for risotto because of the high starch content–this makes the risotto super creamy. Orzo or pearled farro work as decent substitutes, as they are both higher in starch.
This risotto makes an excellent side dish for perfectly cooked chicken breasts or grilled meats. You can also just serve it as a main course with a crisp arugula salad on the side and lots of yummy garlic bread!
OTHER INSTANT POT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Instant Pot Risotto with Asparagus
- 12 oz. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces See Note 1
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, divided salted or unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 cup onion, diced (one small onion)
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken stock or chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 tsp of lemon zest plus more for serving
- 1/2 tsp salt + pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode (medium heat). Add olive oil. When oil is hot, add asparagus and cook 2-3 minutes until crisp-tender. Remove from Instant Pot and set aside. ((Cooking time will depend on the thickness of your asparagus. I look for skinny asparagus for quick cooking!))
- Add 2 tbsp of butter to the Instant pot. When melted, add garlic and onion and cook 1-2 minutes, stirring often so garlic doesn't burn.
- To the garlic and onions, add arborio rice and stir. Cook 1-2 minutes. Press CANCEL on Instant Pot.
- Add chicken stock/bone broth and stir. Make sure broth is covering rice. Place lid on Instant Pot and select manual setting, (pressure cook) at HIGH pressure. Set time for 6 minutes (pot will take 5-6 minutes to come to pressure). When timer beeps, allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release (don't do anything). When 5 minutes is up, do a quick pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir in half and half, Parmesan cheese, remaining 2 tbsps butter, lemon juice/zest and cooked asparagus. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately, adding more lemon juice/zest, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper to taste!
Oh wow! I love how easily this risotto comes together in the instant pot. The texture looks amazing with such incredible flavors.
Love making risotto in the Instant Pot and this is a delicious and easy spring version!
Sisley White - Sew White says
I loved how easy this was to make. I love risotto and the addition of the asparagus was so good.
This is like a little slice of Heaven in an instant pot! So delicious and easy to make! Thank you!
Lima Ekram says
This was absolutely delicious! We are looking to eat more vegetables and this really hit the spot!
Suzie Q says
Adding any sort of cream/ half and half is an insult to risotto. The whole point of using Arborio rice is that it creates a creamy consistency on its own.
recipe is very unique looks yummy and very mouth watering while making
This is so easy for a perfect date night. Feels totally like eating in a fancy restaurant. 🙂
This was so delicious! The asparagus and parmesan added so much flavor to this risotto!
I love asparagus so I know this is going to be delicious! Perfect for spring!
Risotto can be so tricky to cook, but this recipe turned out perfectly! The risotto was tender and creamy – and worked out great for our family dinner last night!
I love risotto and my husband loves asparagus. Can’t wait to try this recipe 🙂 Bonus that it’s made in an instant pot!