- 1 tbsp olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of your pan
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 16 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (cremini mushrooms or other mushrooms of choice, See Note 1)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup dry red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah (can also substitute more beef broth/stock)
- 1/4 cup beef broth or stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh chives or fresh parsley to garnish, optional
If using whole (not pre-sliced) mushrooms, cut off the stems and give them a quick rinse to get any excess dirt off. You can also wipe each mushroom with a damp paper towel. Then, slice into 1/2" slices.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add onions. Cook onions for 4-6 minutes until they start to soften, stirring often.
Add mushrooms, garlic and beef stock and cook for 4-5 minutes until mushrooms begin to turn golden brown.
Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, salt and thyme. Cook 2-3 minutes more until liquid is reduced by about half.
Add in butter and stir until melted. Taste, and season with more salt and freshly ground black pepper, if needed. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley and serve over steak.
Note 1: Cremini mushrooms are a perfect match with steak. However, feel free to use your favorite type of mushroom! Some options: White button mushrooms, shiitakes, portobello mushrooms (chopped into smaller pieces), wild mushrooms or a combination of different mushrooms are all delicious options!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. Info is based on the Very Well Fit Nutrition Calculator.
Calories: 119kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4.4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 587mg | Potassium: 450mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4.1g | Vitamin D: 410µg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 4mg