Homemade Catalina Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar Sherry vinegar works, too
- 1 tsp smoked paprika sweet paprika is good, too!
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
Dorito Taco Salad
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 packet taco seasoning, low sodium if possible or about 2 tablespoons
- 8 cups romaine lettuce, torn or chopped into small pieces or iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 3.8 oz. can sliced black olives about one cup
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- crushed Doritos, to taste
Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until combined. OR add all ingredients to a medium sized jar and shake until combined. Set aside.
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey and cook 2-3 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Pro Tip: Using a potato masher when the meat is almost cooked through works really well to break up the meat!
Drain off excess fat (in necessary) and add in taco seasoning. If your taco seasoning packet calls for water, add that in as well. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
In a large serving bowl, add lettuce.
To the bowl, add all of your other "toppings" (turkey, tomatoes, corn, olives. cheese and onion).
Drizzle on Catalina dressing, toss and serve immediately.
Nutrition information is only an estimate. Info is based on the Very Well Fit Nutrition Calculator. Nutrition calculated WITH dressing.
Calories: 664kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 1183mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 4.7g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin D: 3µg | Calcium: 272mg | Iron: 7mg