- 1 tbsp olive oil vegetable oil or canola oil are also fine
- 1 lb. flank steak, sliced into thin strips against the grain See Note 1
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced white button mushrooms, cremini, baby portobellos, are all great
- 2 cups onions, sliced about 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced the BEST garlic chopper!
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt See Note 2
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard optional
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. egg noodles for serving
- fresh parsley or chives for serving optional
In a large pot of boiling water, add egg noodles. Cook until al dente, according to package directions.
While the noodles are boiling, heat one tablespoon oil a large skillet over medium-high heat.
When oil is hot, add beef to the skillet in a single layer. Cook for 2 minutes on one side without stirring or tossing the meat. You want it to get a nice sear on one side. After 2 minutes, toss meat and cook 1 minute more (it's ok if the meat isn't completely cooked yet). Transfer meat to a plate and cover with foil.
Turn pan down to medium heat and melt butter. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes until onions are slightly softened. Then add garlic and mushrooms and cook 2 minutes more. Stir often to make sure garlic doesn't burn.
In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk together beef stock, flour, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard (if using). Add mixture to the pan, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Turn heat up a bit and bring to a boil. Cook 3-4 minutes until sauce has thickened.
Turn to low heat. Add in Greek yogurt and stir to combine. Then, add in reserved beef and all the juices from the plate. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring often, until beef is cooked and everything is heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
At this point, you can either toss your egg noodles right in with the beef and mushroom sauce, or just spoon the mixture over the egg noodles on individual plates. Garnish with fresh parsley or chives, if you like!
Note 1: Tender beef is a must in this dish! I usually use flank steak sliced thinly. Top sirloin, sirloin tips (sliced thinly), beef tenderloin, skirt steak, rib eye and filet mignon also work wonderfully!
Note 2: Make sure you are using full fat/whole milk Greek yogurt in this dish. The lower fat content yogurt tends to split and look grainy in this dish. Also, be sure your heat is on LOW when adding in the yogurt or it will be grainy.
Nutrition information is only an estimate. Info is based on the Very Well Fit Nutrition Calculator.
Nutrition calculated without egg noodles.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 20.6g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 1136mg | Potassium: 665mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4.6g | Vitamin D: 130µg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 4mg