This Starbucks Grilled Cheese copycat recipe might be the most perfect grilled cheese on the planet…and it won’t cost you six dollars! Two cheeses are melted into this sandwich that’s coated with a butter and Parmesan spread then toasted to perfection. Ooey, gooey and melty…it seriously doesn’t get much better!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
I LOVE all Starbucks hot sandwiches, but I am super cheap and cannot STAND paying $6 (plus tax!) for something I know I can make at home. And of course, if you give a girl a Starbucks sandwich…she’s gotta have a drink….then her kids gotta to have something….and magically the girl is in the hole $25.
This Starbucks crispy grilled cheese copycat recipe is honestly better than Starbucks, in my humble option. The Parmesan crust is GENIUS and gets perfectly crispy and gives the bread an amazing little kick! It takes all of about 5’ish minutes to make, which is less time than I spend in the drive-through!
You can also make this grilled cheese in the air fryer! Check out my recipe for Grilled Ham and Cheese in the Air Fryer and just follow the cooking instructions. And if you need a side for your grilled cheese, look no further than my 24 Easy Sides for Grilled Cheese! Soooo……ready, set, MAKE THIS!! You won’t be sorry!
And if you need a sweet treat after this grilled cheese, try my amazing copycat Starbucks Cranberry Bliss Bars!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- It’s super easy and you can whip this up ANY time without having to run to Starbucks!
- Won’t set you back $6 + tax!! (plus the fun drink you know you’ll buy!)
- Two words: Parmesan Butter = perfectly crisp sandwich!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this delicious Starbucks Copycat Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
Cheese: Starbucks uses a combination of mozzarella and white cheddar cheese in their grilled cheese. I prefer cheese SLICES because I feel like it yields the most MELTY grilled cheese. But shredded cheese works well, too! I get White American Cheddar cheese at the deli counter at my chain grocery store. Provolone, havarti, fontina and yellow cheddar are also super melty and work great.
Bread: Just a plain loaf of sourdough bread, similar to this San Francisco bread is the closest to what Starbucks uses.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: In a small bowl, mix together butter and Parmesan cheese.
Step 2: Spread butter mixture generously onto bread.
Step 3: On non-buttered side of the bread, layer your cheese.
Step 4: Brown in a skillet 1-2 minutes on each side. Cut in half and serve immediately.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- Keep your heat on your skillet LOW to MEDIUM-LOW so the cheese gets melted without the sandwich browning toooo much.
- Cover skillet with a cookie sheet for a minute or so to help the cheese melt!
STORAGE & REHEATING
While this sandwich is best served immediately after cooking, you CAN store leftovers! Store in a Ziploc bag or air tight container in the fridge up to 2 days.
To reheat, a toaster oven works best! Pop the sandwich in for a couple of minutes. OR reheat in a skillet until just warmed through.
ADDITIONS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Starbucks uses a combination of mozzarella and white cheddar cheese, but provolone, havarti, fontina and yellow cheddar are all super melty and work great.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Starbucks uses a combination of white cheddar and mozzarella cheese for the inside of the sandwich. The outside is slathered with a mixture of butter and Parmesan cheese.
Heat a large skillet to medium. Add sandwiches and brown 1-2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted. Make sure you keep the heat low to medium so the cheese has a chance to melt. Pro Tip: Cover the skillet with a cookie sheet to help the cheese melt faster!
Tomato Soup (obvious), Caesar Salad….and check out 22 more amazing sides in this post: 24 Easy Sides for Grilled Cheese!
OTHER COPYCAT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Perfect Starbucks Grilled Cheese (copycat recipe)
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese See Note 1
- 2 slices white cheddar cheese See Note 1
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread generously with the butter mixture.
- Layer mozzarella and cheddar cheese slices on the non-buttered side of bread. You may have to tear the slices to get them to fit! Top sandwiches with remaining slices of bread.
- Heat a large skillet to medium/low. Add sandwiches and brown 1-2 minutes on each side until cheese is melted. Make sure you keep the heat low to medium so the cheese has a chance to melt. Pro Tip: Cover the skillet with a cookie sheet to help the cheese melt faster!
- Remove grilled cheese from skillet, cut in half and enjoy immediately.