Sometimes the simplest dishes can be the most satisfying. This roasted pasta dish literally has 6 basic ingredients, but roasting the pasta takes it over the top!
If you have ever been to Italy and had their pasta, you know that there is SOMETHING about it that is just different, amazing! It might be that it’s made from scratch, it might be the way they cook it, some say it’s the water….or it might just be that YOU’RE IN ITALY!!!
This roasted pasta with parmesan and pepper is the closest I have ever gotten to the taste and texture of “real” Italian pasta! Using a 88 cent package of Wal-Mart spaghetti to boot!
Why do you roast pasta?
Roasting dry pasta (also called “toasting” pasta) before you cook it yields a subtle nutty flavor that you don’t get when you just cook it plain. This method also helps the pasta cook up perfectly al dente every time!
How do you roast pasta?
Roasting pasta could not be easier! Just place pasta on a cookie sheet (I usually roast a whole package/pound). Spread evenly over the cookie sheet and place in a 350-degree oven for about 8-10 minutes. You’ll see the pasta turn a deep amber/golden color. It will also get slightly darker at the ends–that’s when you know it’s done! It doesn’t take much time at all!
What does roast pasta taste like?
AMAZING. It’s a subtle richness, but it’s delicious. When I roast pasta, I like to keep the “sauce” super simple and let the taste and perfect al dente texture of the pasta shine through.
In this recipe, I did a version of Cacio e Pepe (Translated in Italian means “cheese and pepper.” Translated in my home means “the only way my son will eat pasta.”)
It’s just simply butter/olive oil, parmesan cheese, sea salt, and lots of fresh ground black pepper. By keeping the ingredients simple, you can really focus on the perfect al dente texture and the richness of the roasted pasta.
Can you store roast pasta?
Absolutely. After roasting (and cooled), simply store in an airtight container or zip-top bag.
OTHER RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Roasted Pasta with Pepper and Parmesan
- 1 lb pasta (spaghetti works best)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350. Lay pasta out on a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Roast pasta for 8-10 minutes, until it turns golden and gets slightly darker at the ends.
- While the pasta is roasting, boil a large pot of water to cook the pasta.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, about 10 minutes (it will be more al dente that it typically is when you don't roast it, but that's ok!).
- While pasta is cooking, place butter and olive oil in a small bowl and heat them together in the microwave for about 30 seconds until butter is just melted. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and divide between 4 bowls. *
- Top each bowl with 2 tbsps of the butter/olive oil mixture, 1-2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese, sea salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper. Toss and serve immediately!