This Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe Without Wine is scrumptious, garlicky, buttery deliciousness…and it could not be easier. It’s quick and perfect for a weeknight dinner, but fancy enough to impress your friends! Serve it with lots of crusty bread to soak up the flavorful sauce!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission when you click on the links and make a purchase. I will never recommend a product that I don’t support 100%. You can read my full disclosure here.
This easy shrimp scampi is everything I love in a recipe: quick, easy, simple ingredients and COMFORT FOOD! While you may not think of this classic recipe as “comfort food” just picture yourself dunking some crusty garlic bread in this amazing garlic butter sauce…..
You getting the comfort food vibes yet…?? That’s what I thought!
This recipe is made without wine and while I usually NEVER pass on wine (like, ever) I don’t even think it’s necessary in this recipe. The chicken bone broth I’ve added to the recipe brings the flavor over the top so the wine isn’t even missed! Save it for a big glass (or three) on the side!
Shrimp recipes are always quick and easy and this one is no exception. If you want a few more easy shrimp recipes, try my Easy Shrimp Poke Bowls , Cilantro Lime Pasta with Shrimp and don’t miss my 10 Minute Shrimp Yaki Udon!!!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Super simple ingredients, but packed with flavor.
- Ready in about 20 minutes– a great recipe for busy weeknights!
- Simple and easy, but amazing enough to impress your friends!
- Can be served as a main dish or scrumptious appetizer!
- Easy recipe with very little prep time!
You’ll need the following ingredients to make this easy shrimp scampi recipe without wine:
Shrimp: I like using BIG shrimp! The 16-20 count! However, this recipe works with any size shrimp…but bigger is better 🙂 Fresh shrimp or frozen shrimp are fine. I get them peeled and deveined so this meal comes together super quickly!
Chicken Bone Broth: This recipe has no wine so using bone broth vs. regular chicken stock or chicken broth is the secret and gives the “sauce” a deep, rich flavor! If you can’t find, you can use chicken stock.
Lemons/Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemons since you’ll need the zest, too!
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP SCAMPI WITHOUT WINE: STEP BY STEP
Here are some quick visual instructions. Remember that full instructions with exact ingredients will be in the recipe card below!
Step 1: Saute garlic and red pepper flakes (red pepper is optional) in butter and olive oil.
Step 2: Add in bone broth (or stock) and cook 1-2 minutes.
Step 3: Add shrimp, season with plenty of salt and fresh black pepper and cook 2-4 minutes until just pink. As the shrimp cooks, stir every so often so the delicious shrimp scampi sauce evenly coats the shrimp!
Step 4: Add lemon juice, zest and a bit more butter. Stir and make sure the shrimp are all fully coated in the amazing garlic butter sauce.
RECIPE TIPS & TRICKS
- This recipe cooks really quickly! Avoid overcooking the shrimp by turning off the heat (or turning it down to LOW) right when the shrimp turn pink.
- If you’re using frozen shrimp and you forget to take them out of the freezer the night before (NEVER happens to me!), just run them under very hot tap water for a few minutes and they’ll defrost pretty quickly!
- Wild-caught shrimp always taste better!
STORAGE & REHEATING
Storage: Store shrimp in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Reheating: Reheat shrimp in a pan over medium heat with a splash of leftover bone broth or chicken stock. Heat 5-6 minutes or until shrimp are heated through.
Freezing: Cool shrimp completely and transfer to a freezer bag with all the sauce/juices. Freeze for up to a month. When you are ready to enjoy it again, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat according reheating instructions above.
ADDITIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Additions: Fresh chopped tomatoes are DELISH in this dish! Add them in when you add in the lemon juice/zest!
Substitutions: If you can’t find chicken bone broth, chicken stock is fine. You can enhance the flavor with a little bouillon powder or Better Than Bouillon. Fish stock or shrimp are also great subs, if you can find them!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There are a few options. This recipe omits the wine, and opts to replace it with flavorful chicken bone broth. However, if you want the bit of acidity that the wine offers, you can add a teaspoon or so of white wine vinegar and let it cook down a bit.
Chicken broth and chicken stock work too, and if you want to deepen the flavor, add a bouillon cube or a little Better Than Bouillon!
Appetizer or side dish: Serve a big plate of this shrimp along with a bunch of crusty garlic bread for soaking up the amazing garlic butter sauce!
Main course: Serve this shrimp scampi recipe over pasta noodles, zucchini noodles or rice for a complete, easy meal! Top with lots of freshly grated Parmesan cheese if you’re serving it with pasta! A nice, light green salad or arugula salad are great alongside, too!
Easy Shrimp Scampi (without wine)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp butter, divided salted or unsalted (I always use salted for everything!)
- 5-6 fresh garlic cloves, minced the best garlic chopper!!
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined See Note 1
- 1/3 cup chicken bone broth chicken stock or broth also work (See Note 2)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice + zest of one Iemon
- red pepper flakes, to taste optional
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- chopped parsley, to taste
- In a large skillet, melt 4 tbsp butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes (if you are using red pepper flakes) and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring often to make sure garlic doesn't burn.
- Add bone broth and bring to a simmer. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook shrimp on one side for 1-2 minutes, then flip and continue to cook 2-3 minutes more until no longer pink.
- Stir in remaining 1 tbsp butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir, stir, stir and make sure shrimp is completely coated with the garlic butter sauce! Remove from heat, add fresh chopped parsley and serve immediately.