Flavored with comforting spices like rosemary and sage, this butternut squash soup with sausage is perfect for chilly winter days. It’s super simple to make, too–it will on the table in less than 30 minutes!
I love making this soup on weeknights–not only is it super quick, the flavors and spices make it sooo comforting and a great end to a long day. The leftovers makes amazing lunches, too!
Ingredients for this delicious butternut squash soup
- Sweet Italian Sausage: You can really use ANY sausage here! The Hot Italian Sausage works really well, too if you want a little spice!
- Butternut Squash: Weeknight cheat–I ALWAYS buy the pre cubed squash!
- Sparkling Apple Cider: This is my secret weapon in this soup! I actually use sparkling apple cider! I love the sweetness and little “bite” it gives to the soup! You can absolutely substitute regular apple cider, apple juice, chicken stock or just leave it out all together!
- Chicken Stock
- Rosemary Sprigs
- Kale: You can also use spinach, but I like how kale holds up in this soup…better for leftovers! LOL! I buy the bagged, trimmed, pre-washed kale–HUGE time saver!
- Heavy Cream: Just a little and totally optional. I just love a touch of creaminess!
Tips for the perfect bowl
- Two Words: GRILLED BREAD. If you have a grill pan, perfect! If not, a skillet works, too. Slice a baguette into 1/2 to 1 inch slices. Brush both sides of olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and garlic powder and “grill” for one minute on the first side. Flip and grill 30 seconds on the second side. It’s like a soft and crispy giant crouton for your soup!
- Parmesan Cheese! I know this soup isn’t really “Italian!” But I do know that it tastes amazing with a little sprinkle of grated parm!
- Red Pepper Flakes: I always do a generous sprinkle for a little heat!
- Herbs: A little extra rosemary or some fresh basil is a great garnish for a little freshness.
Storing & Leftovers
This soup keeps well for about 3 days in the fridge. Much of the stock gets absorbed, leaving more of a stew-like consistency…which I LOVE!! If you want to have more “soupy” leftovers, just add a cup or so of chicken stock when reheating.
You can also cool this soup and freeze it in a few large gallon freezer bags. I typically like to eat soups from the freezer within a month.
Other soup recipes you’ll love:
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a Star Rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ below or tag @get.on.my.plate on Instagram! I really appreciate–it helps me out so much! Also, please SUBSCRIBE HERE and follow me on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK and PINTEREST!
Butternut Squash Soup with Sausage
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage see note 1
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup sparkling apple cider see note 2
- 1 32 oz container chicken stock
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 2-4 cups kale leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, brown sausage, breaking it up as you go (using a potato masher is my go-to hack to do this!).
- When sausage is mostly brown, add onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add apple cider to deglaze and cook for 3-4 minutes until cider reduces a bit.
- Add in butternut squash, chicken stock sage and rosemary sprigs. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10-12 minutes until squash is tender.
- Stir in kale and cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Add cream (if using) and heat through. Serve with lots parmesan cheese and grilled bread!